My friend made this for Little Joy and I one day because her Epicutie, Little Kate, LOVES it. We agree and even my texture picky Little Asher loves it two, with some lower dairy alterations of course. I love it too; I always enjoy a serving at lunch when we make it.
Try this. Try this. Try this.
- 1 cup uncooked orzo
- 1 to 2 large bunches of fresh broccoli; alter amount to your taste
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese (Parmesan cheese doesn't bother little Asher like most cheeses)
- 1/4 cup sharp cheese, shredded (I substituted one slice of sharp veggie slices so Little Asher could try it) more or less to your taste
- splash to one tablespoon milk (we used almond milk)
- dash pepper
- Prepare orzo according to package instructions
- Steam broccoli and finely chop
- Mix all ingredients together
- Serve warm
Timing: 9 months as long as the ingredients have been introduced alone first to determine allergies.
Storage: 3 to 5 days in the fridge. I don't recommend freezing this.
Tip: You can boil the broccoli with the orzo to make this even easier and less clean up. I opt to steam because a) I have a steamer and b) steaming retains more nutrients than boiling. But we are mommys and sometimes we just have to focus on saving time.
Difficulty: 1 out of 5. Other than a purée this might be the easiest recipe I have posted!
-Little Joy: Yummy in The Tummy; Every time my friend or I has made this for Little Joy she eats it up fast!Little Asher: Yummy in the Tummy; I was surprised little Asher loved this because he does not like the texture of broccoli; thats why I chop it up real fine. And he loves it. It tastes like broccoli so it's texture not taste. The first time I made this he ate so much I had to cut him off!!
I love to eat this too so it's on put short list now!!! Thanks to Little Kate's mom for letting us post and review the recipe!