This recipe is inspired by one from Parents Magazine. Enjoy!
- 2.5-3 lb pork loin roast (tenderloin if its on sale)
- 1-2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium sweet onion cut into thin slices
- 3/4 apple cider (or apple juice but cider is better)
- 2 Jonagold apples, cored and thinly sliced (save the core)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 16 oz bag coleslaw mix (half the bag is actually plenty)
- Trim edges of roast if it will not fit in your slow cooker.
- Sprinkle roast with salt, pepper and thyme.
- Heat oil in large pan.
- Place roast in hot oil and sear on all sides (until slightly brown) .
- Layer onion in bottom of slow cooker and place roast on top.
- Pour apple cider over roast.
- Cover and cook on high for 2-2.5 hours.
- While the meat is cooking, core apples and thinnly slice. Toss the cores in the slow cooker.
- Place apples in a ziplock along with lemon juice and cinnamon. Shake the bag well to coat the apples. Place the apples in the fridge (this way everything is ready to serve).
- After meat is cooked (2-2.5 hours), remove cores, add apples and add slaw mix.
- Cover and cook for an additional 15-20 minutes.
- Remove roast and place on a platter. Allow to rest for ten minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon transfer veggies to the platter and drizzle cooking juices over meat and veggies.
Timing: Meat can be chewy, I would wait until one year. Our pork was very tender though so depending on how experienced an eater you have, it could be offered earlier.
Storage: Fridge 3-5 days.
Yield: 8 servings
Difficulty: 2 out of 5; Like I said, I love slow cooker meals and this one was different than the usual over cooked veggie slow cooker meals. It cook about 15 minutes to prep everything and then a couple hours to cook---I would say that's easy!
- Little Joy: Yummy in the Tummy minus the slaw. I figured the kids wouldnt be keen on the slaw, but she loved the apples, onions and meat!
- Little Asher: Somewhat Yummy minus the slaw. He liked the meat and apples ok...he doesnt LOVE anything thats not a fruit :/ He is my strong willed one, LOL!