* 3 cups shredded or diced cooked chicken (slow cook, roast or boil it)
* 1½ cups freshly grated Monterey Jack cheese
* 2 tablespoons water
* 1 teaspoon cumin
* ½ teaspoon salt
* ¼ teaspoon chili powder
* 1½ limes (1-2 tablespoons)
* 1 cup cooked black beans (organic canned or dried and then soaked and cooked in the crockpot)
* 8 whole-grain 5" to 6" corn tortillas,
* Recommended toppings: Tomatoes, avocado and cilantro
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
2. In a large bowl thoroughly combine the chicken, cheese, water, spices, and juice of 1 lime (or eye ball more if you want). Stir well then add black beans and toss gently so you don't smash the beans up!
3. On a large baking sheet lay the tortillas out in one even layer. You will probably need more than one baking sheet.
4. Evenly distribute the chicken mixture on top of the 8 tortillas (the top layer should be about ½" tall) and bake until cheese begins to brown, about 12 to 13 minutes.
5. Squeeze the remaining lime juice, to taste, on top of the cooked tostadas and serve warm with diced tomatoes and avocado, and cilantro leaves.
**tips: cut into pizza triangles;
serve with some cilantro lime rice;
WORKING/BUSY MOMS: Make the chicken/cheese/spice/bean mixture the night before then simply top it on the tortillas 15-20 minutes before mealtime for a SUPER quick and healthy meal
Serves: 4 people (so we double)
Difficult: 1 out of 5; for a dinner, it doesn't get much easier than this. The make ahead option makes this meal super appealing too!
Timing: 15 months of its chopped up well!
Little Joy: yummy in the yummy--always easy to please at meals she gobbled up two toastadas!
Little Asher: somewhat yummy--despite being the tough critique he still ate half a tostada with no complaints. He wasn't chomping at the bit for more, but was not gagging either. Gagging is common when he has beans!
Little Juliette: yummy in the tummy; while we had to cut hers quite a bit she ended up eating an entire tostada. I think she would have eaten more but she got a sharp piece of tortilla and then seemed discouraged.