- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup low fat buttermilk
- 1/2 cup carrot purée (or 5 ice cube tray method sized cubes)
- 1 large ripe banana, mashed
- 3 tablespoons semi sweet chocolate chips (dark would also be good; I recommend regular sized chips not mini because the smaller chips burn more easily in he waffle iron)
- Cooking spray
- Preheat waffle iron
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl combine oil, egg whites, buttermilk, puree and banana; using a whisk whisk for 1-2 minutes.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon just until combined; do NOT over stir.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Coat waffle iron with spray.
- Ladle batter into hot iron (about 1/4 cup) and cook until waffle is lightly browned.