There are no words for how this soup aromatically fills the air in our home and soothes my soul. Ladle after ladle full and we never tire of this--it has made it to the short list in the cold months.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced onions
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 3/4 cup diced celery
- 1 tablespoon flour
4 garlic cloves
8 cups chicken stock (From here--Crockpot Chicken and Stock)
2 1/2 cups cooked, shredded chicken (From here--Crockpot Chicken and Stock)
4 cups chopped kale, stems removed
- salt and pepper to taste
- 5 Tablespoons fresh, chopped rosemary
- 3 Tablespoons fresh, chopped parsley
- 3 Tablespoons fresh, chopped thyme
- 2 cups small, dry pasta--orzo
- In a large soup pot, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onions, carrots, and celery and saute about 5 minutes until softened.
- Add garlic and flour stirring constantly for 1-2 more minutes until fragrant.
- Add chicken stock, chicken, and kale.
- Increase heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 15-20 minutes until flavors are combined and veggies are tender.
- After the soup has fully simmered, Stir in salt, pepper, rosemary, parsley and thyme.
- Cover and begin to cook pasta until al dente.
- IMMEDIATELY after pasta is al dente, drain and add to soup (if you let the orzo sit it gets clumpy and soaks up all the water-yuck)
- ENJOY THE DELICIOUSNESS
Timing: Little Juliette had this at a few days shy of 8 months coarsely chopped up. I added extra steamed carrots for her to make it thicker and easier to spoon feed her. For a child to self feed this, I would say 18 months depending on how well they self feed.
Difficulty: 2 of 5. As far as soups go, this is pretty easy.
Little Joy, Asher and Juliette: Yummy in the Tummy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
|Extra carrots for Little Juliette's Soup|
|Pre Chopped Veggies|
|Little Juliette's Soup to be Chopped|
|Chopped and ready for her!|
|SHE COULD NOT GET ENOUGH! She kept signing more as soon as the food hit her mouth!|
|Little Joy and Asher had smile face toast with their soup---the face is Bell Pepper :)|