I got this recipe from "Once a Month Mom"'s dairy free gluten free menu---I LIVED on this site when I was on the elimination diet with Little Asher and a lot since then because he dairy intolerant....still. The original recipe makes 8 servings and its just too much so I halved it to see if it still worked well and it does--I had to alter the cooking times a bit too, so here is my version!
I also LOVE slow cooker meals because I can get it in there before the kids are up or when they are busy :)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 3 carrots, finely minced
- 1 pounds ground turkey
- 1/2 cup gluten free ketchup, fruit juice sweetened preferred
- 1 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons gluten free yellow mustard
- pinch of salt, optional
- pinch of ground pepper
- Heat oil in skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Sauté onion and carrots until onion is translucent, then add ground turkey.
- Using a heat safe spatula, break up meat in skillet until turkey is completely cooked about 5 more minutes.
- Transfer to crock and add rest of the ingredients.
- Mix well, cover then cook on high for an hour and lower to low for about 4-6 hours until flavors are combined and vegetables are softened.
- Check about 1/2 hour before eating and see if the sloppy joes look too “juicy”. If they are, I remove the lid of the crock and cook on high, stirring periodically until the right consistency is reached. When the recipe is halved it is usually the right consistency when ready to eat.